Vets Share The Most Common Foods And Household Items That Are Harmful To Pets

Our pets fill our houses with joy, and we wouldn’t know what to do without them. Naturally, every pet-owner wants their furry friend to be as happy and healthy as possible. But did you know your home is filled with seemingly harmless items that may actually be toxic to your doggo or kitty cat? From human foods that don’t agree with their digestive systems, to plants that are actually poisonous if they munch on ‘em, we’ve compiled a list that will help you keep your beloved pets out of harm’s way!

1. Onions

Onion is toxic to dogs in all its forms: raw, cooked, leaves, bulb, and juice. Even processed onion powders are a no-no, and the toxicity also extends to other members of the allium genus, such as garlic, leeks, and chives. This is because these plants contain a compound named N-propyl disulfide. It attacks a dog’s red blood cells, resulting in anaemia, which could leave a pooch’s organs struggling to absorb enough oxygen. Depending on your dog’s size and weight, eating significant amounts of onion could be fatal.

2. Chocolate

Dogs shouldn’t eat chocolate because it contains two ingredients that their bodies can’t deal with: theobromine and caffeine, also known as methylxanthines. These two substances enter a pooch’s bloodstream when chocolate is ingested. This is very bad for their heart and nervous system, as well as the muscles and kidneys. In fact, ingesting chocolate can be fatal in some dogs, depending on the quantity eaten and their physical size. 

3. Tulips

Tulips may be gorgeous when they’re in full bloom, and they’ll likely attract your doggo or kitty cat. You need to make sure they don’t eat them, though, because tulips contain the glycosides tuliposide and tulipalin, which are toxic if ingested. If you think your pet has eaten tulips — symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, abdominal cramps, tremors, and even an irregular heartbeat — then get them to a veterinarian quickly. Cases where the pet has eaten tulip bulbs can be even more dangerous and potentially lead to death!

4. Grapes and raisins

In 2021 the ASPCA Poison Control Center’s Colette Wegenast finally solved one of life’s mysteries: why are grapes and raisins poisonous to dogs? Well, she told NEWStat, “Tartaric acid and potassium bitartrate are uniquely present in high concentrations in grapes,” and dogs are “a species that has been shown to be sensitive to tartaric acid — with acute renal failure reported in the older studies.” So, the next time you’re having a cheeseboard with grapes, or giving your kid a box of raisins to take to school, make sure the furball doesn’t steal any!